New Faculty Orientation 2020
Welcome to UA! The Office for Academic Affair’s New Faculty Orientation provides an introduction to UA’s campus culture and opportunities to meet with essential campus offices to enhance your teaching skills and knowledge of resources available to support your research, scholarly and creative work.
Thank you to each of you that attended this year’s orientation. Copies of the presentations can be found on our box account.
Please reach out to the Office for Academic Affairs with any questions at email@example.com
2020-2021 First-Year Faculty Seminars
Venue: Zoom and in-person @ Dinah Washington Cultural Art Center (620 Greensboro Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401)
September 15, 2020: The Art of Teaching and the Science of Documenting Learning Outcomes – Tips on how faculty can improve their dossiers in the areas of teaching and student learning.
- Lisa Dorr – A&S Associate Dean
- Ginger Bishop – Director of Institutional Effectiveness, Office of Academic Affairs (OAA)
- Heather Pleasants – Office of Institutional Effectiveness (Experiential Learning)
- Nathan Loewen – Teaching Hub
October 20, 2020: Tenure and Promotion (Digital Measures) – Specifics of what T&P reviewers expect in dossiers and hear about best practices to keep track of activities.
- Tricia McElroy – A&S Associate Dean, T&P Official
- Susan Carvalho – Dean of Graduate School
November 10, 2020: Meet the Deans – Open Discussion with the Academic Deans of UA who will give information/advice to the new faculty & answer questions, drawing on their own career paths and the wisdom from the various dossiers they have had to handle.
Special Panel: College Deans
- Arts & Sciences – Joe Messina
- Communication & Information Sciences – Mark Nelson
- Community Health – Richard Friend
- Law School – Mark Brandon
- Continuing Studies – Jonathon Halbesleben
- Education – Peter Hlebowitsh
- Graduate School – Susan Carvalho
- Honors College – Tara Williams
- Human Environmental Sciences – Stuart Usdan
- Libraries – Donald Gilstrap
- Nursing – Suzanne Prevost
- Social Work – Lesley Reid
- Business – Kay Palan
- Engineering – Chuck Karr
January 19, 2021: Legal and Ethical Issues in Teaching – Discussion of policies and procedures applicable to students and teaching, discipline for students through academic misconduct and grievance policies, confidentiality of student records, and FERPA.
- Lisa Dorr – A&S Associate Dean, HR/Resolutions Official
- Beth Howard – Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX Programs
- Donna Meester – Professor of Theatre and Dance, HR/Resolutions Official
- Norma Lemley – Office of Counsel, The University of Alabama System
- Vanessa Goepel – Director, Office of Disability Services
February 9, 2021: Research Support and Grant Writing – Learn about resources available for research and grant-seeking.
- VP for Research – Russ Mumper
- Institute Directors
- Scott C. Rayder – Alabama Water Institute
- Allen Parrish – Alabama Transportation Institute
- Sharlene D. Newman – Alabama Life Research Institute
- Jeff Carver – Alabama Cyber Institute
March 9, 2021: The University’s Mission, Goals, and Current Status – First-hand account from the provost about the University’s strategy, vision, etc., and insights not always available from within departments.
Special Panel: James T. Dalton – Executive Vice President and Provost of The University of Alabama